With Christmas on its way, it’s time to start looking for the perfect gift for your pup. But this year, let’s give the environment a break by cutting down on the amount of wrapping paper that goes in the landfill. We can all do this by using wrapping paper that can be recycled and by using cloth based ribbons and bows. You may not realize this, but only paper-based wrapping paper can be recycled. Wrapping paper that is metallic, has glitter on it, or has a texture to it, cannot be recycled. Neither can most plastic bows. Our DIY dog gift wrap can be recycled and our bows can be reused.
Join us as we show you how to make your own DIY dog gift wrap.
How to Make DIY Dog Gift Wrap
Supplies you will need
As an Amazon affiliate I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
- Plain Brown Wrapping Paper
- Ink Stamps
- Ink pads
Disclosure: I purchased the paper from Amazon.com but the rest of the supplies came from a local Michael’s. However, I added links to similar products on Amazon to make it easier to order everything at once. Plus there are many more options on Amazon.com to create your own personal creation.
Step by Step Instructions
Here are the step by step instructions for the paw tracks DIY Dog Gift Wrap Design.
- Arrange your materials on a flat, clean surface. I used large sheets of white scrap paper taped together to cover my surface and protect my table.
2. Cut the brown paper to the size needed for the gift. I chose to wrap the gift first to make sure the decoration was center on the front of the package.
3. Use a ruler to lightly draw guidelines on the front of the box. You will want to erase the lines when you are done. I used diagonal lines on my package to add interest.
The middle column is 2″ wide and the other columns are 1.5″ wide. Depending on the size of the stamp you use you may need to adjust the width of the columns.
4. Following the guidelines stamp the paw prints in a walking pattern across the package front.
5. Next set the package aside to dry.
6. Once the paw prints are fully dried it is time to add the snowflakes. Following the guidelines stamp the snowflakes onto the paper using an alternating pattern.
Remember to re-ink your stamp each time to give it a consistent look.
When the snowflakes are fully dried erase all the guidelines. Just be very careful when you erase the lines that you don’t smug the white ink.
Once you are done erasing all the guidelines you can add a contrasting ribbon. I like to use a sheer red ribbon to compliment the black and white design.
Time to Create Your own Designs
There is a wide assortment of stamps, ink colors and dog related ribbons to choose from. This is just a small sample of what you can do to decorate your own earth friendly gift wrap. Take some time to experiment with different stamps, patterns and color combinations to make your gift wrap as special as your gift.